Exploration on horseback is a longstanding tradition in Glacier National Park. Many of the first visitors to Glacier Park over 100 years ago arrived via the Great Northern Railroad and spent days or weeks touring the Park on horseback, staying at tent camps and backcountry chalets that were approximately one day’s horseback ride apart.
The tradition of exploration on horseback continues today, with Swan Mountain Outfitters providing guided trail riding on our own trails at Green Valley Ranch as well as in and around Glacier National Park. As Glacier’s only horseback concessionaire, they offer a variety of horseback adventures in the Park and in West Glacier including:
- Trail rides inside Glacier National Park from three strategic locations: Apgar, Lake McDonald Lodge and Many Glacier Lodge
- Trail rides, dinner rides and overnight horseback trips from the West Glacier Corral, just five miles from Green Valley Ranch. Ask for a custom tour of Green Valley Ranch’s extensive riding trails.
- Saddle & Paddle packages (2 hour horseback ride and 1/2 day whitewater rafting trip) in partnership with West Glacier raft companies
- Customized Glacier Park drop camp trips
- Packing services into Glacier’s backcountry and for guests of Sperry Chalet and Granite Park Chalet
Join the tradition of horseback exploration in Glacier with the professionals and have a truly Montana western adventure. For more information, or to design a custom horseback adventure, contact Swan Mountain Outfitters at (406) 387-4405 or visit their website.
And if you are visiting Green Valley Ranch in July, don’t miss The Event at Rebecca Farm outside of Kalispell, an Olympic-level equestrian Eventing competition. The largest of its kind in the U.S., this event draws over 450 competitors from around the world and over 20,000 spectators.